banner link to Baker's Chapel Home page.
umc logo


Sunday Services:

daily reflections

Baker's Chapel UMC
1965 Johnston Rd,
Hernando, MS  38632
Phone: 901-652-6400

free web counter

Church History

Chapel 1952 1952 Cars
Baker's Chapel 1952 Side view from 1952

Baker's Chapel, as it is known now, was established in 1852 as California Methodist Episcopal Church South because of people on their way to California and they stopped here to rest from their trip and decided to stay. It was renamed Baker's Chapel in 1857 for the pioneer preacher German Baker. A cemetery was established in 1860 and a Sunday School program in the 1880's. A tornado destroyed the original church building in 1939 and being delayed by World War II, church members rebuilt Baker's Chapel in 1952. In 2002, Baker's Chapel celebrated 150 years as a community in the work of God.